From Brownfield to GreenfieldWellesley, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
- The Alumnae Valley landscape represents the reworking of 13.5 acres of Wellesley College’s campus over a seven-year period.
- The project transforms a 175-space parking lot that covered toxic dirt into a functioning wetland.
- The original landscape was shaped by ice-age glaciers. Earth mound designs along paths mimic the original sculpting of the land while storing remediated soil.
- Almost immediately after construction of the wetland area, meadows appeared and cattails sprouted along the water.
- Re-development plan
- Captures Water
- Cleans Water
- Cools Air Temperature
- Creates Habitat for Wildlife
- Improves Soil Health
- Prevents Soil Erosion
- Protects Water Supply
- Reduces Site’s Carbon Footprint
- Reduces Urban Heat
- Removes Toxic Chemicals