WHAT IS THE YEAR OF PUBLIC SERVICE?
The 2013 Year of Public Service has been established by the American Society of Landscape Architects’ (ASLA) Public Awareness Campaign to highlight the wide-reaching public service activities readily performed by landscape architects and to advocate for a higher commitment by all to community service projects.
Any current ASLA member can submit his or her service project for review by the Public Awareness Campaign to highlight in the campaign’s resources and outreach.* Descriptions, quotes and multimedia content may be used – with proper credit – on the YPS2013 website, blog and The Understory Facebook page.
What kinds of projects are included in the Year of Public Service?
Any project can be submitted where an ASLA member, chapter, or firm with ASLA members provides landscape architecture services at no cost to the relevant project.
How can I submit a public service project?
- Go to the YPS2013 website and click the link Submit Project
- Fill out the information requested in the pre-populated email.
- Attach descriptions, pictures, video, quotes, and testimony from members or other coordinators.
For finished projects, submit before and after pictures.
- For design charrettes, submit digital images of completed designs, be they freehand or computer-generated.
Is there an open project I can join?
ASLA and the National Park Service Rivers, Trails, and Conservation Assistance program have augmented their ongoing collaborative partnership to celebrate ASLA’s Year of Public Service. Under this partnership, ASLA’s local chapters can volunteer in their communities to help NPS RTCA by providing technical assistance for such outdoor resources as trails, bike paths, and other recreational facilities targeted for support in 2013.
Contact your local ASLA Chapter to find out how to take part in NPS RTCA projects. Find your local chapter here.
* Submitted project reports are subject to review by ASLA staff. You will be notified by email if your material will be included as part of the Year of Public Service overview.