The Student Representative to the ASLA Board of Trustees serves as the liaison between landscape architecture students, ASLA student chapters and the leadership of the Society - voicing the opinions and suggestions of students to the Board and reporting back to students any Board actions that may affect student concerns.
Below is the slate of candidates for the 2014-2015 Student Representative. Carefully review each candidate’s résumé. Ballots were emailed to all ASLA Student Chapter Presidents. Only Student Chapter Presidents are permitted to submit a completed ballot. Ballots are due by Midnight, February 28, 2014. The winning candidate will be announced at LABash.
The Student Representative term is May 2014 – May 2015.
The Student Representative is expected to:
- Report to the Board at the mid-year meeting and the annual meeting on any issues of concern or interest to students;
- Chair a meeting of student chapter presidents during 2015 LABASH;
- Serve as an administrator to the Facebook page (post and reply to messages;
- Establish and maintain contact with ASLA student chapters; and,
- Serve as an ex officio member of the ASLA Emerging Professionals Committee and Landscape Architecture Magazine Editorial Advisory Committee.
Each ASLA student chapter was invited to nominate one individual. While each student chapter may determine its own procedures for selecting a nominee, candidates for the position must:
- Be a member of both ASLA national and an ASLA student chapter.
- Must have one full school year remaining, have demonstrated an interest in ASLA and should have a record of participation in ASLA-related activities.
- Candidate must be able to bring student issues into focus for the ASLA leadership. If elected they should expect to spend at least five hours per week working on ASLA-related matters.
- Candidate should have a proven record of experience in organization and leadership.