The American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) seeks to design a more sustainable, livable, and beautiful world. Landscape architects create city master plans, design ecosystems, develop innovative park projects like the High Line in New York City, roll out bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure, and renew residential landscapes. ASLA represents some 16,000 landscape architects in the U.S. and around the world.
ASLA seeks a Public Relations Manager who will manage communications with national newspaper, magazine, broadcast, and online and social media; promote the use of landscape-based sustainable design approaches; and raise the profile of ASLA and the visibility of the entire landscape architecture profession.
The PR Manager will:
- Create and implement strategic PR plans to support critical ASLA programs such as the Sustainable Sites Initiative™ (SITES™), the world’s first rating system on sustainable landscapes; ASLA’s prestigious honors and awards programs; the ongoing Public Awareness Campaign; National Landscape Architecture Month; and others as appropriate.
- Create and manage relationships with key national design, environmental, and industry media.
- Support ASLA’s advocacy team and develop relationships with Capitol Hill news sources.
- Manage inbound media inquiries and coordinate appropriate responses with staff and expert landscape architects.
- Monitor media coverage, performing supplemental online searches as needed, and compile regular reports.
- Plan and maintain news release calendar, coordinating with department director, public relations coordinator, marketing manager, and other staff as appropriate.
- Write and distribute news releases and follow up with media to maximize coverage.
- Work with leadership on presentation and talking points for media and public interaction.
- Develop and maintain media lists and experts/speakers list.
- Manage outreach to allied professional design organizations to build support and visibility for ASLA programs.
- Coordinate ASLA’s many social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Vimeo, YouTube, and others.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills: Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced yet highly collaborative environment. Experience in a public relations firm or working with associations and their chapters desired.
Candidates should have a thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office computer applications; experience with media, social media, and Web monitoring programs; familiarity with video production; and experience with content management systems (CMS).
Must be able to balance heavy workload with short- and long-term project deadlines, address changing priorities, and work well under pressure. Candidates must develop a deep knowledge of sustainable design, landscape architecture, and the many domains in which landscape architects work.
Education: BA in journalism, English, communications or related field.
Work environment: The work environment offers a modern four-story building with street level access and an interior elevator, office cubicles, adequate access to outside and indoor lighting, kitchen facilities, and restrooms on three floors. The building is located one-and-a-half blocks from the Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro Station serving the Red, Yellow, and Green Lines.
Salary and Benefits: Very competitive salary. Health, dental, and vision insurance and 401K plan provided.
To apply: NO PHONE CALLS, please. Please submit via email to email@example.com: 1. cover letter; 2. resume; 3. salary history; 4. writing sample. Only candidates submitting all four items will be considered for interviews. ASLA doesn't offer any relocation benefits.